Wednesday, July 8, 2020

Mask Making Project

Despite what some people think or claim, wearing a mask will help with this pandemic we're having.  I started this project in mid March and I'm taking a break from it now.  To date I've made 3,708 masks, a variety of both adult and kids sizes.  Early on, there was a huge need, but now masks are available everywhere.  I had lots of help, by giving fabric to friends who did all the cutting for me.  They would return the cut fabric to my doorstep in a bag and text me it was there.  Also, Marian and Bogdan ended up sewing for me (simple straight stitches, not affixing the elastic...), as well as cutting elastic.  I did not purchase any of the fabric or elastic for the masks, they were all made from fabric/elastic I had or from donations.  In fact, we had a huge donation made from a gentleman who was cleaning out his late wife's fabric bins (near 40 bins of fabric!!)  I made these masks for everyone from hospitals, hospice centers, nurses, EMT's, teachers, counselors, vets, kids, friends, priests, parishioners, family, and many others. I am happy when I see people using masks out in public, but saddened when they are not.  Can you just wear the dang mask please??
Cartoon from newspaper, sent to me by a friend.

Marian and me with some of the first masks we made.

Sample of masks from March.

My average daily tally 74, all time high 126 per day, all time low 4.

These are the rough cuts I get from my cutters, large rectangles that are about a legal sized sheet of paper.

These are the "littles" I also get from my cutters, which are the fabric that binds the edges.

Ironing in the pleats.

At work in my crowded sewing room.

Sewing in the elastic.


Sampling of some masks from April.

Counting out my daily tally, in groups of ten, on my kitchen table.

One of the masks I made for lip readers, with a clear vinyl center. Made to order for local hospital.

Marian and Bogdan also helped out during April and May!

The very first mask I made, with my cat Phoebe looking on.  

No comments:

Post a Comment