Saturday, February 13, 2010

Healthcare at its....

No, not finest.

Marian was complaining of her ear on Thursday night. I gave her Tylenol and she slept fine. Friday morning she woke up with her eyes crusted over and the first signs of pink eye. Her ear also still hurt. Now, this is a child with a high tolerance for pain. So, for her to complain, it's a pretty big thing.

I called our new pediatrician's office. I was told that they couldn't fit her in until Monday, in 3 days. That was because I was a new patient and had neglected to make a new patient appointment, and they don't take new patients on Fridays. Now, I'm pretty pissed and I just hang up. So, I call my insurance carrier and explain the situation, they advise me to see an ER or an urgent care clinic. So, I walk in to the walk in urgent care clinic at Walgreen's. We waited only 10 minutes and they gave her a thorough look over and she has an eye infection (pink eye) and an ear infection. Meds prescribed and now she's fine. Of course, the worse part of it for her is that she missed her Valentine's Party at school.

Now, while I realize there are certain procedures, and I should have made a new patient appointment, I am really tempted to drop my pediatrician, who wanted my child to wait 3 days before seen. What if it was something worse, what if it was their child?

No comments:

Post a Comment